Those of you that know me know that I’m pretty a-political and I generally avoid getting involved in discussions that might involve offending
someone or require taking a controversial position or being obviously critical, but that all ends
today. WHAT WERE THE FRENCH NOBILITY
THINKING!! Honestly! They were so out of touch with reality by the end of the
16th Century that there was a serious need for a wake up call!! Now
granted, I know things got a bit out of control, what with that guillotine and
such, but something needed to happen that would bring things back into balance.
What would cause such an outburst from me?? Welcome to Versailles!
Now, in fairness, I have to admit that I
was a bit cranky today because it was freezing, and then it turns out that half
the world population was also visiting Versailles today. It was ridiculous; trying to navigate through
the building was a little bit like class change at a Jr. High, and I didn’t
like that when I was 13, so combined with all the gold and marble we were
crowding ourselves through I quickly became a cynic.
Louis XIV welcomes you!
The chapel where the king would attend mass. He and his family would participate from the balcony, and the less noble people would attend on the floor.
The crowd I had to worm my way out of after taking a picture. Be sure and notice the marble inlay floor.
The ceiling of the chapel
There were at least four of these halls, they are actually twice as long as this and every archway has a full size marble statue.
This is just a gathering room for palace guests. The walls are made of marble, with gold leaf moldings and painted ceilings.
Out of that last room we turned down into a hall of rooms. The camera picked up a lot of the window light making this hall look brighter then it was, but be sure and count how many rooms come off this passage way. This is essentially one long chain of rooms with the "hall" just being one side of the room as there was no privacy for the king, everything he did was open to the public, sleeping, eating, playing games etc.
I actually only took a couple of pictures down this hall, I just mainly concentrated on navigating.
Looking out the window at the side yard as I made my way, wishing I was not packed like sardines inside! Notice though that no one is out there, it really was that cold!
The famous hall of mirrors. The grandeur of this room was meant to confirm the belief that the Kings functioned by Divine Right and it was a manifestation of their power. It was used for balls and official events, but was essentially a passage way. This side is the side with windows....
....and this side is the side with mirrors designed to reflect the light from the windows. Mirrors were an extreme luxury during the time of Louis XIV, and so this room was an over the top statement about his power.
Just some detail work in a ceiling corner. These guys really liked their ceilings!
Looking out at the back yard, everything you see is part of the back yard.
The kings bed. If I understand it right, the railing is the only barrier between him and those who came to watch him sleep. It was sort of like winning the lottery to be able to watch! Go figure!
(Every time I look at this picture I think I'm looking at Janette! I think I miss her!)
The queen's suite, but do not be fooled, the king and queens rooms are actually in different wings....
The cabinet to the left is the jewelry cabinet of Marie Antoinette, built in a Neo-classic style. History says that she made a temporary escape out this door into the internal passage ways the morning the revolutionaries broke into the palace
Her bedroom. These fabrics have been reproduced to reflect the decor of her day. As with other queens, she also had to have her babies in this public place in order to verify they were really born. I guess there was a lot of suspicion about baby switching etc, and since the kings governed by Divine Right it was important that it really be the legitimate King so they could have the blessings of heaven.
Another ceiling. I think I keep including these pictures because it was astonishing to me that every single room had a ceiling of this intensity; and for us, ceilings are such an after thought!
Another side yard.
This was one of the drawing rooms, and the tour (when I say tour, I really mean one of those portable audio push-button tours) made the point of telling us that the reason there is no furniture in this room is that it was all destroyed during the revolution, but they are doing research to try and recreate and refurnish this and other rooms.
The dining room where the royal family would eat while the public watched
The ceiling in the Hall of Battles. This hall was actually designed by Louis Phillipe around 1830, which is after the revolution. He was called the king of the people because he reigned at their request. He and Napoleon kind of wrestled for position.
This room, with its large skylight, contains 33 enormous paintings depicting famous battles in French history.
This is a painting of the first great battle in French history. Clovis, king of the Francs has just defeated the king of Allemagne (Germany). Since he promised his wife he would convert to Christianity if he won this battle, this is the moment that he both celebrates his victory, and commits to his new God.
I actually just really like that someone is taking a picture with their iPad, you see that all the time and it looks both awkward and pretty cool!
----Just a typical stairwell----
This isn't really a great picture, but it gives you and idea of the marble work on the walls that was everywhere.
The bedroom for the heir apparent.
Finally, some books!
Just a cool very globe; I couldn't figure out what it was doing, but it's very cool!
More globes, 'cause my kids love globes.
This is the front balcony. King Louis XIV would come out every morning to greet the public from here, and assure them that all was well.
The palace clock. Notice how the number 4 is IIII instead of IV like we learned in school We've noticed that this is typical on the older clocks around Paris.
Me and the gardens...
....and now with the palace. Same place, different angle.
The train station trying to leave town.
I think there wasn't enough time between Versailles and Fontainbleau. I really can't process all that wealth gathered on the backs of the poor; but I can appreciate the beauty, and I'm looking forward to seeing the gardens again. I admit to being irrationally forgiving if I can enjoy some trees, flowers, water and blue sky.
Stay tuned for Versailles: The Gardens!





The picture of you and the gardens is so pretty (of you :))
ReplyDeleteJenni