Sunday, May 20, 2012

Le weekend!

The weekend was nice and quiet.  Kelli's been fighting a cold, and Brittany's is still sort of nursing her knee, so we haven't gone crazy.

Saturday they all went to the Pompideu Museum, but I'm going to do that with Jim, so I took the chance to walk around on the top of Paris, instead of inside the subway, and I was amazed to see how things are connected.  It's so hard to keep track of that when all your traveling is underground.  Turns out Notre Dame is about 2 streets and 1 bridge from where we have class!!


As I was wandering I came across this woman working out of her window with her flowers and it just made me so happy. I love the window boxes here, and somehow they are even more wonderful when I can connect them to a real live person.


I took the chance to go shopping across the street from this 16th century tower....


....and bought darling outfits for baby Allred and baby Fischer. It was so fun to think of them and realize how much I already love them.  Keep cooking kido's, we'll see you soon!  Notre Dame is just down that street!


Then I got to sit in this parc and write postcards and read my book.  Can you think of a better afternoon?


Look at the trunk of this tree!! This wall is on a back street I discovered, maybe 100 yards from Notre Dame. This is simply elegant, and none of the travel books even know about it.


Dessert...with a bite out of it!  I got so excited eating this, I got chocolate on my hands and accidentally spread it on my shirt and pants.  Well worth it!


As we were walking I saw this car and struggled to get my camera out fast enough, but it just looked like a car worth noting!  Am I right Landon?


We went to one museum Saturday, and I'm not sure if it was museum fatigue, or if the museum just wasn't that great, but either way, this is all you get to see of it!!  
I bet you're heart broken!


And then, like the three lonely bachelorettes that we are, we spent saturday night at home watching a movie off of iTunes and eating cookies and ice cream.


Today at church this cute girl came up to me and asked my name. Before I could get farther then "Cha...", she finished with "Christensen."  I was momentarily mortified, thinking I should know her and I couldn't remember her name, but it turns out that she's a Landeen, as in Melissa and the Warburtons.  Melissa had her on the look out for me and we got to meet again at church in Paris!! (I'm sure I've met her before) A great treat!  And it also gave me a chance to think about her grandparents from Draper 2nd Ward.  Two of my favorite people.


Just snapped this picture of the art from a couple of days ago.  The rain is doing its sad work....



Tonight for fun we volunteered to cook American food for our host family.  We decided that chili and corn bread, with chocolate chip cookies for dessert was pretty american and went to the grocery store yesterday to see if we could find enough of the right ingredients.  We were optimistic with our chances and gave it a try today.  But you always forget things like, they're on the metric system here, for oven temperature, measuring cups and spoons etc.  And even their basic ingredients are kind of different.  

This is me and Brittany trying to evaluate the packets of baking powder.  Hmmm, how much is in that packet??


What spoon looks the most like a teaspoon??


But chocolate cookie dough is always delicious.  We even made the family try the dough--with their fingers (a barbaric action in this country), we just told them it was the American way!!


Kelli doing her best to grate cheddar cheese with a cheese slicer.




Finished product!  Not bad!!



And these were almost as good as the dough!!

No comments:

Post a Comment