Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Odds and Ends- Week 1

This is just a short note to myself of a few of the little surprises that Paris has offered this week.  They aren't attached to any specific outing, but just are times that made me stop and look.

This is the first "french street" I walked down, just hours after getting of the plane.  I've walked down dozens of them now, but this picture reminds me not to start taking them for granted.  Even the back streets here offer a richness and sense of history that can't be experienced in the States, simply because we haven't put in the time


This was also the first day.  We crossed this bridge close to Notre Dame and were fascinated by these locks, and have since had our suspicions confirmed.  Lovers come here and write their name on a lock, attach it to the bridge and throw the key in the river as a symbol of love that lasts forever.  Of course, it was one of many things that made me miss Jim! I may just have to do something corny like hang a lock here!



Try and look through the reflection in to the dancing lovers.  This was just in a store window and I grabbed this picture as everyone else hurried by.  I just thought it was beautifully graceful.  As elegant as anything I've seen in a museum.


And this made me think of Landon.  For 89 Euros you can drive your own very expensive care, Jaguars and the like, all around the Champs Elysees.



Sundays we're on our own for food so on Saturday Kelli and I bought fruit at a fruit stand, a baguette at a Boulangerie, and cheese at Formagerie, and just ate it in Kelli's room. The fruit is gorgeous, the colors so rich that I think they are part of an enhanced photo.  The best dinner ever!


Our first skyscraper.  It really jumps out at you!  It took us 5 days to even see one, and that was with a fair amount of moving around the city.


This just struck me funny.  Does this and Paris go together??


Another small art store, this picture pretty much shows it all.  I have no idea what you would do with one of these, but I loved them.  I guess it's all those hours with my family picking, eating and canning fruit! 


Like I said before, we spend a lot of time figuring out the subway.



1 comment:

  1. Great choice on the car. You'll have to drive one for me, and just spend most of your time revving the engine.
    -Landon

    ReplyDelete