Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Rain, rain, go away....

Monday was half homework, half play day.  We started after class by heading over to the Louvre so Kelli and Brittany could go into the museum and I was going to do some shopping, but the line into the museum was over an hour long to so they bailed, and we went to eat instead!  

We were right by a McDonalds so Kelli decided she would finally give in and try the McBaguette!  Yes, they have a hamburger on a baguette here: two patties, lettuce and french mustard on a fresh french baguette!  We've been reading the signs ever since we got here, and Kelli finally gave it a try, and honestly it wasn't so bad as McDonalds goes!



But I couldn't make my self go there, so I had italian lasagna and a lemon tart with pine nuts.  Delicious, especially for a food court lunch.  And it was hot...


...which was important to me because I knew we were headed out into the rain, wind, and cold.


These are the Tuileries Gardens just outside the Louvre, and they are kind of pretty in the rain.


But honestly, I didn't know it could rain for so many days in a month.  (I know Jenni and Danny, I should quit complaining!)  Notice that the umbrellas are being held forward, that's because the wind would whip   them inside out if you weren't very careful.  It made seeing where you were going a bit sketchy.


But, it is Paris, so I'm over it!


Our goal was to make the trek all the way down the Grande Avenue des Champs Elysées and take in all the famous shopping etc and end up....


...at the Arc de Triomphe; which we did.  And on the way we sort of checked out the shopping.  Luckily for me, I don't really recognize and appreciate all the brand name store that we were passing, so I was completely content, and I would stop look appreciatively whenever Brittany would stop and ogle over a fancy one.  There is just so much to learn in Paris!


You always see pictures of the outside of this monument, but I was rather impressed by the underside also.  Those medallions are all carved, not painted.


We climbed to the top going round and round up this staircase.  I hope you can appreciate not only how swirly it is, but how high.  I tried to look over the railing at the top and really couldn't do it, it was so high, so I just stuck my camera out over it, while I leaned way away from the edge, and snapped this picture.  (Yes Jim, I had the camera strap around my wrist.)


Our view of Mr. Eiffel.


I stopped feeling sorry for myself when we watched this bride across the street trying to take wedding pictures.  I'm pretty sure this isn't what she imagined when she bought that dress and planned this photo shoot.

For any of you who are wondering, The Arc de Triomphe was built by Napoleon to celebrate the military might of France.

The original Champs Elysées was designed in 1616 by Marie de Medici, as an avenue of trees to extend the Tuileries Gardens.

No comments:

Post a Comment