If you are in Paris for more then a couple of days then it
is sheer madness to try and do the Louvre in just one day, but you have to
start some time and today seemed like the day to begin. I know I will go back when Jim comes, but I was
glad to go today so I could get the lay of the land and be more
prepared to go together; and for Brittany and Kelli, this was also just the
beginning, as they are planning on going again in another week. To start the
day, Kelli’s camera ran out of battery and Brittany forgot her card, so I just
gave them my camera and put them in charge of pictures. They took pictures of anything they wanted to and I came home with
well over a 140 pictures, but I’ve tried to pair it down a bit for this blog.
There are two things that made today a really great museum
day. The first is, that since I knew I
would be coming back and covering the same ground, I made a conscious effort
not to do what I usually do at museums, and that is get too caught up in the
details, the history of each piece, the story behind it, the science involved
in making it, or even the name of the piece and the artist. I just very consciously walked around looking
for pieces I liked, and letting myself wander to things I was attracted
to. I would frequently see things I know
we studied in Art History and I would start to get frustrated because I
couldn’t remember what I knew about them, but then I would pull back and remind
myself just to enjoy it, and it honestly made a difference.
The second thing that made today fun was going with Brittany
and Kelli. While I was working hard not
to work hard (and trying not to miss Jim), they were just totally caught up in
the wonder of being at the Louvre. They
would gasp every time we turned a corner, or every time we saw something they
had studied in school. Brittany just
took a Humanities Art class and would throw her hands up to her face every time
we saw something she had studied.
Kellie, who has not taken a class, was fascinated by how the
presentations and the grandeur of the Louver just command your respect. She observed that, even if you don’t love art
or understand it, when you come here, you are compelled to respect the creation
and the creators. She was completely blown away. I loved being able to see it
through their eyes.
I’m just going to include a bunch of pictures of beautiful
and or dramatic art works. I won’t
comment much, just browse through the pictures and see if there is anything you
like.
Lunch before starting, we knew we needed our strength.
Feeding the birds our bread ends. We actually save parts of our sandwich everyday, because no matter where you are you can usually feed birds.
One of dozens of Madonna's, I just loved her face and the baby Jesus
Every Mom understands this statue!!
The Louvre just knows how to put together a display. This is one of several halls of statues.
Just cool!
Look at this guys face!!!
Real friends!!
I couldn't decide which grandchild specifically, but I instantly thought of all my great kids when I saw this!
Not only is the art on the walls and floors great, but the building is it's own piece of art.
No explanation needed...
Brittany and Kelli in the corner trying to catch their breath, they were in a constant state of disbelief. Every new room took a moment!!
AJ, this is for you!! Even the gods do it!!
What would you do here!!
This painting always makes me grateful for Cheryl Hughes. She taught us about it on the first day of class and I was mesmerized!
I guess you have to see this, but honestly, it's not very big and there are upwards of 200 people gathered around it all day.
Another favorite from class!
Loved this detail from a large picture of a husband and daughter who have just lost their wife and mother
We also saw some really short skies there...
Is this a painting?? or sculpture??
Some people just gave up!
The Louvre has the biggest pieces of art an the smallest. Check out these 2000 year old buttons
It was a perfect day!!

















I'm impressed that you resisted the urge to read about everything, my children accuse me of having to read every-single-word-on-every-single-plaque-that-I-pass-by!!
ReplyDeleteI think my favorite thing is all of the college type pictures. :) I mean, really, would you put your finger "on top of the pyramid" if it was just you and dad? It looks like so much fun! Can you talk Cheryl into putting together an art history brush up or spouse course? We would come to UT for it! I wish I remembered it all.
ReplyDelete