Day three of our trip: Angers and Langaies
This part of our trip is in the western interior or
France. We’ve left the coast and are
winding ourselves back to Paris by way of Castle Country. If you look at a map, this area, a little
south and west of Paris is dotted with castles left over from the Middle Ages
and Renaissance period of French history.
Not all castles had kings that lived in them, many were built by
wealthy members of the court, but often had visits from the reigning king. In addition to that, they all have several lives. By that I mean that these castles were built by one person, but as that person would die off, get run off, or lose their money for some reason or another, the next family who maneuvered well would move in and take over. These buildings were so well built that they just keep going, and are altered, redecorated and added on to literally for centuries!
**********
Angers
Our first stop today not technically a castle, because it
function more as a fort, and had a defensive responsibility in France. Called Angers, it has 17 turrets that make up a very thick
wall. I think what was most interesting
to me about this fort was that something so massive and enclosed could include
so many pretty little corners.
This garden is actually part of the dry mote that surrounds
this castle on 3 sides. On the 4th
was the Loire River.
Right in the middle of the fort~ ~I thought it was kind of
pretty!
This wall is evidence of days gone by, it just stands alone without the rooms that used to be adjoining.
Notice these huge bricks, no wonder it's still standing. This fort was full of little dark halls that would lead...
.....to one of the towers.
The residential corner of the fort.
Looking out over the fort from the top of one of the towers.
One of the most fascinating things to me about this particular fort, was that inside of a space smaller then temple square there were beautiful views....
....pretty little walk ways....
....and hidden doors....
....and then on top around the guard walk way....
...there was even a vineyard with some secret tips for growing
grapes. 1. Put roses at the ends of the
rows because bugs that will attack grapes will attack roses first and so you
can stop them before there is a problem. And 2.....
2. Use slate stakes with your trellis, they absorb heat in the day-time and hold their heat for the cold nights.
Funny story: After this fort we had a couple of hours to kill so I went
to get some lunch. I ordered a salad
with three ingredients, which I assumed were going to be added to the bowls of
lettuce that were with the salad fixins, but no, you just got the ingredients!! I laughed as I walked away and enjoyed my
lunch. Anything is pretty good with
balsamic vinaigrette!
After lunch there were a couple of churches to visit, which
made me happy. I’ve come to love my moments sitting quietly in the churches
here in France. They are generally
deserted and peaceful and there is just a certain feeling that comes with them
that I love to visit. It’s as if these buildings have absorbed all the good
karma from the honest in heart that have worshiped there, and it lingers to bless
those of us that come.
*****************
Langeais
After another bus nap we got to our castle, Langeais. Although this is called a castle because it
is primarily a residence, it was dark and fortress feeling, even on the
inside.
Notice, it also has a wall that stands alone.
This castle is most famous for hosting the secret wedding
between Charles VIII and Anne of Brittany.
It was this alliance that cemented the union between France and the
kingdom of Brittany, thus creating the current country of France.
Dining room complete with a fake dinner...
.....one of the kings bedrooms--see what I mean about dark?!....
Gand hall complete with a fake royal wedding.
(I don't know who owns and runs this castle, but really, it was a little weird.)
But this was interesting. It's a tapestry loom, and I'm totally in awe of what they can make.
**********
And then there was dinner.
Brother Labras had been promising us all week that his would
be a great dinner, and it lived up to all his hype. It was another one of those French moments
when superlatives failed us.
It started with these appetizers, which were as yummy as
they were nice to look at. The little crustless
quiches were my favorite.
The salad was an avocado mousse with shrimp and baked
parmesan . Words would fail me if I tried to describe it!
And the main dish was veal with potato pancakes and herbed
sweet potatoes. The pancakes were so
light and fluffy, the veal could be cut with a fork, and the sweet potatoes
with their hint of something were almost like dessert. I think everyone at my table wiped their
plates clean with the delicious rolls, the flavors were just too wonderful to
waste.
And you can't go wrong with a chocolate tart and hazelnut gelatin.
I will always miss the food here!!














No comments:
Post a Comment